According to Wikipedia: A hashtag is a type of label or metadata tag used on social network and microblogging services which makes it easier for users to find messages with a specific theme or content. Users create and use hashtags by placing the hash character (or pound sign) # (also known as number sign or octothorpe) in front of a word or unspaced phrase, either in the main text of a message or at the end. Searching for that hashtag will yield each message that has been tagged with it. A hashtag archive is consequently collected into a single stream under the same hashtag. As a sociologist, I think this new technology is a “power house” of anecdotal data for analysis which I call Hashtag Sociology.
Directions: In a two FULL pages address the following hashtags. #blacklivesmatter #bluelivesmatter #alllivesmatter.
1. My power points on social stratification, race and ethnicity in Week 5’s Folder and rereading chapters 7 and 8.
2. Provide background information on each hashtag and how these hashtags are related.
3. Present each “groups’ perspectives.” Try to be as “unbiased as possible” and present each group’s perspectives as if it was your own.
4. 3 social media posts and/or memes must be included in the assignment (screen shot image in document or save image).
a. Social media images requirements:
i. Provide social media posts/memes that supports each hashtag’s perspective.
ii. And most importantly “why” you feel the posts/memes captures each groups’ sentiments?
5. Finally, you sound in with your “insightful, sociological, and collegiate” opinion on the discussion.