Microsoft Word - AE4132_Final_Project.pdf
AE4132 - Finite Element Analysis
1 Project description
This project for the class involves writing your own finite element analysis program for plane problems. The program
must use isoparametric bilinear quadrilateral elements, and should be able to perform the following tasks:
1. Read an input file with problem information according to the format provided below.
2. Compute the displacement field.
3. Post-process the displacement field and compute stresses at the quadrature points and extrapolate them to
You may use the program to solve a problem of your choice. The problem has to be simple but realistic, and the
model has to have at least 50 elements. Even though you can use rectangular elements to debug your code (because
you have the exact stiffnesses available), problems containing only rectangular elements will not be considered valid.
You might use any meshes of your choice or write your own in Python. Note that you will need to convert meshes
obtained via meshing software to the required format. The project will contain the following deliverables:
1. Source code in a single Python file.
2. Mesh file for your problem.
3. Written report describing the problem, showing results (displacements, strains and stresses over the domain),
and discussing your findings from a stress analysis and/or numerical perspective. You might require multiple
simulations to reach meaningful conclusions.
2 Evaluation criteria
1. The code must run and produce results and graphics for your problem of choice (submitted mesh) and fora
enchmark mesh that the TA has.
2. The report will also be evaluated for clarity, completeness, and depth of analysis.