Female (XX), Juliet Capule
A tumour was detected in Ms Capulet as part of routine mammogram screening
DOB: 23rd December, 1947
Breast cancer stage: localised, Grade I, 3cm
Immunohistochemistry result: ER positive and PR positive in 100% 0f cells, HER2 negative, low Ki67
1) What are the likely psycho-social impacts of this diagnosis for this patient?
2) What is the average prognosis for (i) 5-year and (ii) 10-year survival for patients diagnosed with a tumour having these characteristics? How does prognosis change if the cancer has already spread at diagnosis – compare 5 positive lymph nodes versus 10 positive lymph nodes.
3) Does the patient’s age affect her prognosis for survival?
4) Describe the likely appearance and distribution of the patient’s tumour in her body
5) Based on the immunohistochemistry results, what targeted therapies would you recommend for this patient?
6) What do the Ki67 and mitotic indices tell you about the biology of the tumour cells?