Managing Organisations (MNG10247)
Assignment 2 Guidelines
Title: Assignment 2 – Manager Interview
Marks: 20 (which is 20% of the unit grade)
Task: Students are to interview[footnoteRef:1] a cu
ent Manager to identify and analyse how the individual performs, as part of their Managerial responsibilities, one of the fundamental Functions of Management (i.e. Planning, Leading, Organising or Controlling). This information is to be presented as a report (max 1000 words) with a minimum of three distinct references from academic ‘peer-reviewed’ journals to support your analysis. [1: It is anticipated that the interview last no longer than 15mins.]
Purpose: The assignment is designed to help students recognise the way in which a key management concept studied in the unit is applied in practice.
Feedback: Students who submit their report by the due date will receive feedback within 2 weeks. This feedback will be in the form of a marking ru
ic and a copy of your report with electronic comments made by the marker.
Style of the Report
· Present a report that clearly addresses and illustrates the Management Function you have selected in practice.
· Avoid simply describing what questions were asked in the interview and the Manager’s responses. Instead, place the information in context. Students can do this by (
· the Manager’s role
· the organisation they work fo
· the key tasks or activities that the Manager spends their time on
· Context might also be provided by discussing the key challenges of the Manager’s role.
· Adopt the 3rd-person ‘point of view’ with your writing.
The single document submitted for this assignment is to contain the following components and formatting features:
· The report (max 1000 words).
· It is advised that students develop a catchy title; one that provides some level of insight into the focus of the report.
· No Table of Contents or Executive Summary is required.
· Use headings and sub-headings to structure your analysis.
· Reference List
· Appendices –
· Interviewee details (use the Interviewee Details Template provided in the Assignment 2 folder)
· Transcript of the interview. The entire interview does not need to be transcribed; just the key questions asked and the Manager’s responses.
Adopt the following formatting features for the report:
· Apply page numbers. Page 1 comes after your coverpage.
· Font style: Times New Roman, 12pt, justified, 1½ line spacing.
· Margins – top and bottom to be 2.54cm. Left and right to be 2.54cm. No page borders.
· Spelling - if using a Microsoft package, specify Australian English language/grammar when running your spell-check.
· Writing and grammar must conform to the standards of an academic and professional report.