Microsoft Word - HA3021 Group Assignment 2018.docx
HA3021 CORPORATIONS LAW
Due date: Week 10
Maximum marks: 20 (20%)
Group report: 15%
This assignment is to be submitted by the due date via SafeAssign on
The assignment is to be submitted in accordance with assessment policy
stated in the Subject Outline and Student Handbook.
It is the responsibility of the student submitting the work to ensure that the
work is in fact his/her own work. Ensure that when incorporating the works
of others into your submission that it appropriately acknowledged.
This is a group assignment. Students are to form groups, with a minimum of 3 and
a maximum of 5 students per group. The assignment consists of 2 parts: a 2,000
word report (maximum) and an 8-10 minutes (maximum) in-class or video
Instructions: Please read and re-read carefully to avoid mistakes.
1. Research on an Australian case (ideally not more than 10 years old since the
decision by the Court) involving
each of company director’s/officer’s duties
under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
2. Group report: Write a report outlining the following:
a. Case introduction.
. The duties
eached (ex. CA sections 181 or 588G) and
explain why the duties were
c. Discuss and critically ANALYSE the court/tribunal decision and the reason
for the decision in view of the Corporations Act.
d. Where possible and applicable, the relevance of the decision to the
development of Australian corporations law or the impact of the decision
on the operation of companies in Australia.
3. Group report must be submitted via SafeAssign on Blackboard.
4. Group presentation: Present the report in class or video recording. Your
lecturer will advise which is more appropriate.
a. If in-class presentation, all members must present on the day. If video
presentation, groups must show to the satisfaction of the lecturer that all
group members made a reasonable contribution to the group work.
. Non-compliance with this requirement will result in a failing mark or a fail
will be recorded.
5. Video link must be uploaded to a publicly viewable video-sharing platform (ex.
YouTube, Drop box, Google drive) and the video link uploaded on
Important: Please do not upload the entire video. Upload only the link
for the video.
• You must email your lecturer your chosen case and list of group members by
week 5. You must obtain approval from your lecturer of your case before starting
work on it. Please note: failure to obtain lecturer approval will result in a failing
mark for the entire group for the group assignment.
• All group report submissions must be de done online and run through
SafeAssign. No hard copies are to be submitted. Only one group member needs
to submit for the whole group.
• Please fill in the “Ru
ic Group Report” sheet (available in Blackboard under
“Assignments and Due dates) and attach as a cover sheet to your group report
and upload on Blackboard.
• Each team member also must also submit to their lecturer a “Peer Evaluation of
Individual Participation in Group Assignment” sheet (available in Blackboard
under “Assignments and Due dates) with their presentation/video.
• No submission of either the group report or video presentation link on
Blackboard/SafeAssign is equivalent to non-submission, which will merit a mark
of 0 (zero) for the group assignment.
• GROUPS OF LESS THAN 3 AND MORE THAN 5 PEOPLE WILL RECEIVE A
PENALTY OF 10 POINTS.
• Late submissions will be subject to Holmes Institute policy on student
assessment submission and late penalties (please refer to subject outline and
• All reports are expected to observe proper referencing in accordance with
Holmes Institute regulations.