The overall task in MKT570 is based around two aspects. First, that each student can develop a theoretical understanding of the underlying principles of Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC). Second, that each student will be able to apply these principles by developing a comprehensive IMC program for a major marketing related issue faced by an organisation.
In Task 1 the focus is to conduct a brief IMC situation analysis. In this task you will develop an IMC program for one organisation.
You are to assume you are a senior account executive with M&C Saatchi (Australia) and you are pitching your approach to a potential client organisation below.
Your ultimate task throughout this subject by Assessment 4 is to develop a new IMC pitch for onlyoneof the following cases:
(a) Commonwealth Bank of Australia - to address the adverse publicity and reputational damage from the Banking Royal Commission in 2018 or;
(b) The Australian Medical Association – to seek to ban the advertising of junk food and sugary drinks to children and to introduce a tax on sugar or;
(c) AMP – to address the adverse publicity and reputational damage from the Banking Royal Commission in 2018.
- Alternatively, you can choose an organisation you work for. However, you must be able to identify an important IMC marketing related issue faced by that organisation that could affect the strategic positioning of that organisation in the marketplace.
So, choose either the Commonwealth Bank or the AMA or AMP or your own organisation and address the following topics:
- Find out as much as you can about the issues faced and the organisation and then undertake a brief IMC situation analysis of the issues surrounding your chosen case, considering the major stakeholders (e.g. influence on customers, employees, supply chain (i.e. say in the case of AMP this would include financial advisors)), government, etc.);
- What factors have contributed to the present situation?
- What concerns are likely to be driving each of the stakeholders that would need to be considered for an IMC program?
- Briefly discuss how IMC has been utilised to date in dealing with this issue.
Ensure you define IMC using theory and research (to support your opinion) and then discuss its application using the organisation chosen and explaining how it has worked in your own words. Remember, this is an academic writing exercise. It is essential that your work is strongly underpinned by solid research, demonstrated understanding and application of marketing communications concepts.
The table below is taken from the Belch Text (p33) and provides an overview of the IMC program and is the general approach taken in this subject to product an IMC plan. I understand that in the early part of this course it is going to be a challenge to research the issues but as you proceed the ‘fog’ should lift as you become more familiar with the case.
Taken from Belch, G. & Belch, M XXXXXXXXXXP33. Advertising and Promotion: An Integrated Marketing Communication Perspective, 11 Ed. McGraw Hill, ISBN XXXXXXXXXX
back to top
This assessment task will assess the following learning outcome/s:
- be able to explain and critically discuss the role of marketing communication in the overall marketing and business strategy.
- be able to evaluate theoretical concepts underlying integrated marketing communications.
After completing this assessment, you will be able to:
- investigate and understand the role of situational analysis in dealing with an IMC related problem in facilitating the overall marketing and business strategy;
- use real life organisational examples and discuss from your point of view what works and why.