Topic: ACCESS TO AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE FOR THE UNINSURED IN CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA.
Through the Policy Analysis Portfolio assignment, students will apply the principles of policy analysis and their understanding of the law and legal systems to critically analyze a contemporary issue in health and/or healthcare and to develop recommendations for a law and/or policy approach to address that issue.
For this assignment, you may assume that you are working for a group of community organizations that have approached you about their concerns with the issue that you have selected i.e., ACCESS TO AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE FOR THE UNINSURED IN CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA. Your task is to advise them of what action, if any, they should take to effect a specific change in law and/or policy. Consistent with the general role of policy analysis, your purpose is to provide your client with informed advice, including a recommended course of action (or inaction).
IMPORTANT!!!!Format. You may choose a portfolio format through which you feel that you can best communicate your work. Creativity is encouraged. However, it is important that your work be professional. Effective formats might include Mahara; Powerpoint slides with recorded narration; Prezi, with written or recorded narration; Canva, with written or recorded narration; or a video presentation. Keep in mind that you will be submitting your portfolio electronically, so you want to choose a format that is effective for “virtual” presentation.
If included, the “run time” for any recorded component of your presentation should not exceed 15 minutes.
Required Components.Regardless of the format you choose,at a minimum, your portfolio MUST include the following 5 sections:
Statement and Magnitude of the Problem (Problem Statement and Background)
· Include a statement clearly defining the specific problem that you are analyzing. You may find it easiest to frame your problem in the form of a question to be answered. (Examples: Should initiating a new state program to reduce the number of uninsured residents be a top priority for legislation? Should the state’s current priority of reducing the number of uninsured residents be accomplished by relying on currently existing programs?)
· Provide the factual information necessary to understand the problem and its scope (e.g., How pervasive is the problem? Whom does it affect? What are the costs and consequences of the problem?). (Note that your overarching goal is to justify why this is a significant health problem and why it is important to solve.)
Key Determinants (Landscape)
· Identify and discuss the concerns of the various stakeholders.
· Identify and discuss the factors that must be considered in analyzing the program (i.e., the risk factors and risk behaviors associated with the problem [e.g., behavioral, environmental, political, social, economic, legal]).
Prevention/Intervention Strategies (Options)
· Describe the strategies currently being used to address the problem.
· Identify alternative strategies that might be used.
Policy & Priority Setting (Assessment of the Options)
· Analyze the strengths and weaknesses (pro’s and con’s) of each strategy/option identified in the preceding section.
· Identify and describe the criteria that you used to evaluate the various options. (Note that your choice of criteria should reflect the concerns discussed in the Landscape/Key Determinants section.)
· Identify the BEST option for addressing the problem.
· Provide a rationale.
· Include clear action steps
· Identify and discuss barriers and/or challenges to implementing recommended action steps