Trans LAN Project
Trans Systems is a small information system consulting firm located in Meridian, Louisiana. Trans has just been hired to design and install a local area network (LAN) for the city of Meridian’s social welfare agency. You are the manager for the project, which includes one Trans professional and two interns from a local university. You have just finished a preliminary scope statement for the project (see below). You are now brainstorming potential risks associated with the project.
.1. Identify potential risks associated with this project. Try to come up with at least five different risks.
2. Use a risk assessment form similar to Figure 7.6 to analyze identified risks.
3. Develop a risk response matrix similar to Figure 7.8 to outline how you would deal with each of the risks. 236 Chapter
7 Managing Risk
PROJECT SCOPE STATEMENT
To design and install a new local area network (LAN) within one month with a budget not to exceed $90,000 for the Meridian Social Service Agency with minimum disruption to ongoing operations.
Twenty workstations and twenty laptop computers.
∙ Server with dual-core processors.
∙ Two color laser printers.
∙ Windows R2 server and workstation operating system (Windows 10).
∙ Migration of existing databases and programs to new system.
∙ Four hours of introduction training for client’s personnel.
∙ Sixteen hours of training for client network administrator.
∙ Fully operational LAN system.
- Hardware January 22.
2. Setting users’ priority and authorization January 26.
3. In-house whole network test completed February 1.
4. Client site test completed February 2.
5. Training completed February 16.
1. Workstations with 17-inch flat panel monitors, dual-core processors, 4 GB RAM, 8X DVD+RW, wireless card, Ethernet card, 500 GB hard drive.
2. Laptops with 12-inch display monitor, dual-core processors, 2GB RAM, 8X DVD+RW, wireless card, Ethernet card, 500 GB hard drive and weigh less than 4½ lbs.
3. Wireless network interface cards and Ethernet connections.
4. System must support Windows 11 platforms.
5. System must provide secure external access for field workers.
LIMITS AND EXCLUSIONS
1. On-site work to be done after 8:00 p.m. and before 7:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday.
2. System maintenance and repair only up to one month after final inspection.
3. Warranties transferred to client.
4. Only responsible for installing software designated by the client two weeks before the start of the project.
5. Client will be billed for additional training beyond that prescribed in the contract.
Director of the city of Meridian’s Social Service Agency