Assessment 2: (Week 8) I SCENARIO BASED PROJECT: The Tourism & Hospitality Event
Total weighting: 40 %. Due: Week 8
● This SCENARIO BASED PROJECT is a major assessment carrying 40% of the marks for the subject. It is here that students will learn to align the pedagogy with the demands of the workplace.
● The project is a rigorous and robust indication of the student team’s ability to integrate theory and application and explain concepts, situations and outcomes by way of analysis.
● Critical-reflection, consistent engagement and research skills are required by the student team to arrive at an acceptable solution to the one selected industry problem/opportunity at the core of their project.
SCENARIO BASED PROJECT: CITI Hotel
CITI Hotel in the CBD has been gradually encroached on by new apartments and high-rise office Buildings. With the COVID-19 pandemic and declining occupancy rates, the Board has decided on rebranding and developing a new business strategy. The Hotel (in the CBD) also requires maintenance work and refurbishment. The CITI Hotel has 12 floors with 3 floors for restaurants, event halls, gym, offices, kitchens, and a large banquet kitchen. However, with the declining occupancy rates due to current external factors, the Hotel requires your expertise to apply your managerial skills and knowledge to address the situation.
● Establish a new strategy and target market,
● Fill the hotel with guests at profitable prices,
● Maximize the outstanding banquet facilities,
● Keep operations running smoothly to ensure
● Your overall goal is to increase the hotel’s profitability, customer satisfaction, and employee satisfaction.
The scenario is time-based, with guests and groups constantly evaluating your hotel against options based on custom quotes for groups, service and customer levels, room types, sustainable facilities, staff relations, physical resources, etc. They must show how this could contribute to the organisation’s bottom line (financially) and could improve the brand image. This requires an action plan template.
This assessment requires each student to reflect on their tutorial and discussions (throughout the lectures), previous work experiences and the learning that has occurred. Every week they are expected to write what they have learned, what they could or should be learning and how they are learning. The procedure (among other things) is expected to increase student’s self- awareness of being active-learners in charge of their learning process and self-improvement.