In this assignment, you need to create an Entity Relationship (ER) diagram relevant to the above case study and perform logical design to produce appropriate 3NF Relations.
The attributes for various entities have not been purposely described in the case study so that the students are encouraged to further research and list the pertinent attributes in addition to the required identifier for each and every entity in their ERD.
1 Draw an appropriate ER diagram
Use the symbols as prescribed in your unit-textbook to draw the ER diagram (ERD) for the above case study.
Your ERD must
• show all necessary entities, attributes and relationships
• show identifiers/identifying attributes as necessary
• show multi-valued attributes, if any
• show participation and cardinality
• show associative entities, if appropriate
• show weak entities, if any
• use the notation described in the set text
• use consistent and appropriate naming for entities and attributes as specified in the unit text book
Some business rules or other aspects of the case study may not be clear to you when you read the case study. If this is the case, then you should either approach your lecturer or tutor for clarification, or you may simply make an assumption and then develop your ERD accordingly. For example, the case study might not mention all relevant participation information (also called minimum cardinalities). If so, you may make an assumption about what the minimum cardinalities might reasonably be, and then show them in your ERD accordingly. You should justify each assumption in terms of the business, for example: it is assumed that each customer must have at least one order because it is assumed that the business does not record customer details until the customer places an order.
To get yourself started, ask yourself, 'If I were running this business, what things I need to keep a list of?' Write those things down. For each thing, what information would you need to record about it? How can it be identified? The answers to these questions will help you to develop your ERD.
2 Assumptions and Business rules
Provide assumptions and business rules relevant to your ERD.
3 Create Logical Design:
Map your Entity Relationship diagram (ERD) into relations and make sure that all the relations are in 3NF. Provide all the relations in the following format:
Customer (CustomerId, customerName, Street, Suburb, State, PostCode, Email)
Invoice (InvoiceNumber, invoiceDate, Total, CustomerId)
foreign key (CustomerId) references Customer(CustomerId)
How and what to submit:
You must make an electronic submission for this assignment using the appropriate assignment submission link in the unit web site.
You should submit a Microsoft Word document containing:
• A copy of your ERD.
• A list of business rules and assumptions including their justifications.
• 3NF Relations
Your document should contain appropriate identifying information (your student number, name, unit number, etc.) and should contain appropriate headings for each section.
• You must work individually on this assignment.
• The model solution to this assignment will be released approximately TWO (2) weeks after the due date.
• Assignments that are submitted after the release of the model solution will receive zero marks.
• You must state in your assignment (at the end under the heading Acknowledgements is a good place) all materials and sources you used. This may be as simple as 'This assignment was completed using only the COIT20247 unit materials' to mention that you have used only the items provided by the unit COIT20247.
• Before submitting your assignment, review the marking criteria that are available in the assignment specification. Ensure that all the criteria are addressed in your submission.
• After submitting your assignment, please verify that your submission was successful, i.e. download your submitted files to ensure that they are correct.
• Penalty related to late submission and plagiarism is handled as per the university policies.