Week 8 Capstone Project Information
Week 8 Capstone Project Objectives: (1) Demonstrate your knowledge of Microsoft Access by creating a database from scratch. In creating this database, you will analyze and synthesize a combination of database concepts, terms, components, tools, and objects (queries, forms, and reports). (2) Evaluate the results of your finished database by answering (5) questions.
(1) Week 8 Capstone Project Database Information: Now that you have learned the basics of Microsoft Access and relational databases, you will create your own database from scratch. You may create a database of anything you want...however, it must be a relational database. This means that at least two of the tables must have a one-to-many relationship type. If you'd like, you could also create a many-to-many relationship among multiple tables. In the past, students have created a database of their books, comics, music, movies, video games, and household items. Also, students have created databases for their place of employment. This assignment can be fun and useful at the same time!
The database you create is required to have the following objects:
· (minimum of 2) Tables that have a one-to-many or many-to-many relationship
· In each table, create a minimum of 8 fields which use each of the data types in the following list (Short Text, Long Text, Number, Date/Time, Currency, Yes/No, Calculated, and Hyperlink)
· Field sizes need to be set as appropriate!
· In each table, create a minimum of 1 multivalued field
· In each table, create a minimum of 2 validation rules with validation text
· In each table, create a minimum of 15 records
· Data can be fictitious, but it should be realistic!
· (minimum of 6) Queries
· Queries must be different types (e.g., top-down query, parameter query, crosstab, etc.)
· 1 query needs to use a criterion field
· 1 query needs to use a comparison operator with a criterion field
· 1 query needs to use an aggregate function
· 2 queries need to have joined tables (2 tables create the query)
· 2 queries need to have a calculated field
· This means you create a calculated field for the query!
· (minimum of 2) Forms
· 1 form needs to be created for a table and 1 form needs to be created for a query
· 1 of the forms above needs to be a split form
· (minimum of 6) Reports
· At least 2 reports need to be created for queries with joined tables
NOTE: If you would like to create additional tables with more detailed information, please do so. If you would like to create additional queries, forms, or reports, please do so. Do whatever you need to do in order to create the database and make it professional / user-friendly. Make sure you meet the minimum requirements.
(2) Week 8 Capstone Project Written Information: When you finish creating the database, type up the answer to EACH of the following questions in a minimum of one paragraph (3-5 sentences). You are required to use Microsoft Word. There is no starter document with a required format but please make it professional.
1. Why did you choose to create this database and where did the information come from?
2. How is this database useful to you?
3. What types of queries did you use and what questions did the queries help answer?
4. What types of reports did you generate and why?
5. Do you think you could share this database with friends or family to help them?
Data retention summary
Get the mobile app