XXXXXXXXXXVA Teacher: Jaina Sheth
Assignment - 04
Vanier College April 27, 2021
Deadline : 11th May, 2021
Time : 11:59 PM
Marks: 60 Points
Read the instructions carefully.
1 General Instructions
• This work is an individual work and should satisfy expectation of originality.
• Any form of plagiarism will not be tolerated.
• You must submit a single .zip file for this assignment on Lea under
• Place all your Java programs (.java files) directly in a folder with a name
Lastname Firstname StudentID (e.g.,Sheth Jaina XXXXXXXXXX).
Compress (zip) the folder and submit a .zip file only. There shouldn’t be any package
folder or src folder inside the zipped folder.
• You must not submit files with extensions such as a .rar, .tz, .7z, .java, .txt, etc.
• If you submit a file other than .zip file, your submission will not be considered and you
will be graded a straight 0. Also, if you submit multiple files, only the last submitted
work will be considered.
You will be graded out of 60 points according to the following distribution:
• [10 points] 5 points for each of the tasks 1 and 2.
• [20 points] 10 points for each of the tasks 3 and 4.
• [30 points] 15 points for each of the task 5 and 6.
Write a Java program for each of the following. Design a generalized solution
which can work for any valid values of variables.
1. Create a method which calculate and return the value of simple interest for user entered
Principal amount, Rate of interest per annum, and Number of years. Display
the result on the screen along with principal amount, rate of interest per annum, and
number of years.
2. Consider an array of 10 whole numbers and initialize it with the numbers of your choice.
Then, ask the user to enter a whole number. Check if the array you created contains the
user entered number or not and display the result on the screen as either “The array
contains the user entered number” or “The array does not contain the user
3. Consider an array of 5 whole numbers named userArray. Ask the user to enter values
of array elements, store them inside userArray and display the elements of userArray
on the screen.
Now, reverse the userArray and store the reversed values into another array called
revArray. Display the elements of revArray on the screen.
4. Ask the user to enter a year between 1800 to 2200. Check if the user entered value is
in the given range or not. If in the range, proceed with the program; otherwise keep on
asking the user to enter a year until user enters a valid value. Create a method to check
if the user entered year is a leap year or not and display the result on the screen.
5. Create a gradebook class. Student IDs are going to be the objects of this class. The
objects of this class should have the states: maths, science, language. The objects
of this class should have the behaviours: calculateTotal(), calculatePercentage(),
• Create 3 different objects of the class gradebook: S01, S02 and S03.
• maths, science, and language should accept grades for a student for subjects
Mathematics, Science and Language respectively.
• Add grades for the students while creating objects using parameterized constructor.
The values you enter should be between 0 to 100.
• The method calculateTotal() should return total of grades of all the subjects for
• The method calculatePercentage() should return a student’s percentage out of
100 depending on the total of the grades.
• The method finalGrade() should return PASS or FAIL for a student depending
on Percentage of the student. If the percentage for a student is below 60, return
FAIL; otherwise return PASS.
• Display the total, percentage and final grade on the screen for each student.
6. Create a method to calculate sum of the series of numbers considered according to the
following expression for user decided range: (Please refer to the given examples before
n/(n + 2)
• Ask the user to enter the minimum and maximum number of the range. Note that
these should be whole numbers.
• The method should accept these minimum and maximum numbers of the
range entered by the user, as its arguments. The method should return sum of
the series of numbers according to above expression for the user decided range.
• Display the series of numbers according to the expression and for user entered
range along with the sum of the series on the screen.
• Displayed series should have the numbers as whole numbers without a decimal point
as shown below in the example. Whereas, the sum of the numbers should be a
floating point number.
Example-1: For example, if the user entered minimum number is 1 and user entered
maximum number is 99; the program should display the following series and sum:
Sum : XXXXXXXXXX
Example-2:For example, if the user entered minimum number is -5 and user entered
maximum number is 5; the program should display the following series and sum:
Sum : 4.6
(Your program should work for any valid minimum and maximum values of the range.)