CHEM 1010 Exam 3
1. In order to receive credit for problems involving calculations you must clearly show all steps of a
logical solution including the numbers involved. Failure to do so will result in no credit
2. Be sure to give answers to calculations correct significant figures and units.
3. When submitting exam answers do not include the questions
4. The deadline for this exam submission is 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday May 5
5. The exam has 10 questions.
6. At the end of the exam include the statement “I certify that this exam was done by myself with no
assistance from anyone else”.
1. true or false:
A. In alkanes, alkenes, and alkynes carbon atoms have 4 covalent bonds.
B. The oxidation number of Mn in KMnO4is +7
C. Organic acids are weak acids.
D. CH4is an acid since it contains H
E. The pH of pure water is zero.
F. The reaction: AgNO3(aq) + KCl(aq)→ AgCl(s) + KNO3(aq) is a redox reaction
G. Dimethyl ketone and propanone are the same thing.
H. Beta rays consist of electrons.
I. All bases contain OH-ions
J. pH increases as [H3O+] increases
2. How do ethane, ethene, ethyne, ethanol, and ethanal differ?3
3. A. How do propane and cyclopropane differ ?
B. How do 1-propanol and 2-propanol differ?
4. Considering the following solutions:
.10M HNO3(aq) .10M NaOH, (aq) .10M H2SO4(aq),.10M CH3COOH (aq) .10M KCl(aq)
A. which solution has the lowest pH ?
B. which solution has the highest pH ?
C. which solution has a pH of 7.00 ?
D. Which solution has highest [H3O+] ?
5. The overall reaction in an auto battery is:
Pb(s) + PbO2(s) + 2H2SO4(aq) → 2PbSO4(s) + 2H2O(l)
A. What species is oxidized ? B. What species is reduced?
C. What is the oxidizing agent ? D. What is the reducing agent?
6. When gaseous SO2is bubbled into an HNO3solution sulfuric acid and gaseous NO2form..
Write a balanced equation for this reaction.
7. In each of the following give the atomic number, mass number, and element name of the
A. polonium 210 decays by alpha emission.
B. A succession of two alpha particle emissions followed by two beta particle emissions
By an initial astatine 217 isotope.
8. Aromatic compounds often involve benzene ring structures. What is the unique bonding
Situation in benzene ?
9. Barley and wheat grains from an ancient source are found to contain an amount of carbon 14
Equal to 25% of that in modern plants. The half life if carbon 14 is 5730 years. How old are the
Ancient grains ?
10. What is the difference between nuclear fission and nuclear fusion?