Short answer questions
1. Please describe how the body uses a negative feedback loop to regulate the body's temperature when the body gets too hot. Be sure to mention the different processes that the body uses to regulate the temperature. Make sure to mention what is the stimulus, the sensor or receptor, the control center, and the effector/output in this feedback loop.
2. Consider a drug that stops the ability of the cell to form the mitotic spindle during mitosis. How would this affect cell division? Would this be an effective drug against cancer?
3. What would happen to the cells in our body if we drank salt water? Would this be harmful to our body? Please remember to describe what type of solution this would create around our cells in relation to tonicity, as well as what would occur to the cells themselves.
4. Describe what occurs in cells during the G1, S, and G2 phases of the cell cycle.
5. Can a cell that divides uncontrollably be considered cancer? If not, what else must occur to the cell and in the body for this to evolve into cancer?
6. Through the microscope, you notice a tissue that has an apical surface, multiple layers, and flattened cells near the apical surface. Determine what type of tissue this is and explain how you know it is that type of tissue.
7. Describe the two criteria by which epithelial tissues are classified.
8. Explain how you distinguish between dense regular collagenous connective tissue and dense irregular connective tissue if viewing these tissues through a microscope. (Hint: Consider how they are different!)
9. Charlie just got the helix of his ear pierced. The piercer told Charlie that it would take about a year for this piercing to heal. Knowing what you know about connective tissue, especially the type of connective tissue found in the ear, why do you think this is? (Why do you think it will take so long for the piercing to heal?)
10. Dark brown skin contains more melanocytes than pale skin. Is this true? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
11. Consider the following DNA sequence:
GCA CCA TTG GCC ATG TGG ACC ACG GCA AGA
1) What would be the complementary mRNA strand resulting from this DNA sequence? (Use the DNA sequence seen above as your template strand).
2) What would be the resulting amino acid chain from the complementary mRNA strand? Use the amino acid table below to aid you.
12. Describe the differences between white adipose tissue and brown adipose tissue. Which one is more commonly found in adults?