2803NRS Acute Nursing Practice - Trimester One, 2021
A3: Written Assignment
1500 words: Weighting 30%
Due Date: Tuesday 18th May XXXXXXXXXXpm
The aim of this assignment is for you to demonstrate your ability to apply the principles of evidence-
based and person-centred care to plan effective care for a client with an acute medical or surgical
condition as a Registered Nurse.
This assignment addresses all the learning outcomes of this course.
For this task you are required to write a 1500-word essay in which you:
• Discuss the risk factors, pathophysiology and assessment of the post-operative client
presented in the following clinical scenario.
• Identify two (2) priorities of post-operative nursing care.
• Discuss ONE of the following potential complications:
o internal haemorrhage OR
o post-operative wound infection.
• Develop a plan of care to reduce the risk of the potential complication.
• Reflect on the process of creating the plan of care.
Your essay must include:
An Introduction (approximately 100 words)
Your introduction should contextualise and identify the aim of the essay.
Body (approximately 1300 words)
1. Outline the risk factors and pathophysiology that have led to the patient’s presenting
condition. (100 words)
2. Discuss TWO (2) comprehensive post-operative assessments that an RN would undertake for
the patient. Using current evidence-based literature, justify why each assessment is necessary
for the presenting condition. (300 words) (Remember that your assessments need to be
specific to the post-operative patient)
3. Discuss ONE (1) potential complication (either internal haemorrhage OR post-operative
wound infection), including the development and risk factors of the complication itself and
ONE (1) nursing assessment used to identify the complication. (400 words)
4. Develop a plan of care to reduce the risk of the chosen potential complication (either internal
haemorrhage OR post-operative wound infection). Use current evidence-based literature to
justify why your plan is appropriate for this patient. (400 words)
5. Apply Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle to reflect on the process you used to develop the plan of care
and what you have learnt from designing the plan. This section can be written in first person.
Conclusion (approximately 100 words)
Your conclusion should give a brief summary of the main points of the essay (100 words)
● You must support all sections of your essay with scholarly literature that has been published
within the past 5 years, i.e., from 2016 (inclusive) onwards.
Dianna Diamond, a 55-year-old woman has returned from surgery. Dianna underwent a laparoscopic
cholecystectomy. Dianna has a medical history of hypertension (HTN), hyperlipidaemia, depression,
and a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 28.
Dianna presented at her general practitioner 5 days earlier with abdominal pain radiating to her
shoulder. She quantified her pain level at 8/10. She had been complaining of general pain and nausea
for a period of six months. An ultrasound identified gall stones and generalised inflammation of the
bile duct and peritoneum.
Dianna is married with two adult children who live at home, and she completes most of the household
work. She works in a childcare centre five days a week. She has been gaining weight over the last ten
years due to a poor exercise routine and eats fruits and vegetables ‘when she remembers’.
Dianna has returned to the surgical ward post cholecystectomy surgery. She is receiving IVT of
Normal Saline 0.9%. She is drowsy but rousable and is complaining of pain (rating 6/10). Her vital
signs on arrival to the ward are: BP 145/70, HR 98bpm, temp 35.9 degrees, SpO2 99% on 8 litres of
oxygen via a Hudson mask. She has an indwelling urinary catheter in situ with 60mL of light-yellow
urine output. She has patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) in situ.
You have been allocated to care for Dianna.
Please ensure that your submitted assignment:
1. Uses the Griffith University Cover Page as per the Griffith Health Writing & Referencing Guide.
2. Is correctly formatted as per the Griffith Health Writing and Referencing formatting guidelines
(e.g., spacing, page number, etc.), AND includes a correctly formatted reference list using APA
3. Is assembled into one document using the Assignment Template. Format file is to be MS Word
only (.doc) or (.docx).
4. Has uploaded successfully into the Submission Portal. Please retain a screen capture of the
submission and email this to your student account.
* For more help with Turnitin Assignment submissions go to: Turnitin
ONE: Overview of the Client
▪ Outlines the risk factors and pathophysiology that have led to the presenting patient condition.
TWO: Comprehensive assessment
▪ Discusses TWO (2) comprehensive post-operative assessments that an RN would undertake for
the patient. (10)
▪ Provides a rationale for each assessment relating to the patient condition (5) and justifies why the
assessment is necessary with current evidence-based literature. (5)
THREE: Plan nursing care based on assessment of the client
▪ Discusses ONE (1) potential complication (either internal haemorrhage OR post-operative
wound infection), including the development and risk factors of the complication itself (10) and
ONE (1) nursing assessment used to identify the complication. (5)
▪ Develops a plan of care addressing how to reduce the chosen potential complication (internal
haemorrhage OR post-operative wound infection). (10)
▪ Uses current evidence-based literature to justify why the plan is appropriate for this patient. (5)
FOUR: Evaluation of care
▪ Applies Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle to reflect on the process used to develop the plan of care and
what was learnt from designing the plan. (10)
PRESENTATION and STRUCTURE
▪ Assignment has as an introduction that contextualises the assignment and identifies the aim of the
▪ Has a concluding paragraph that summarises the overall assignment and does not introduce any
new information or references in the conclusion (5)
Conforms to the Assignment Presentation Formatting Guidelines: (10)
▪ Assignment title page (NOT university cover page) including name, student number and word
▪ Uses academic language throughout (first person permitted in reflection)
▪ Correct spelling, grammar, sentence structure and paragraphs
▪ Essay is supported by no fewer than 10 different reference sources from current scholarly literature
(i.e., past 5 years) (5)
▪ Referencing formatted as per APA 7th Edition (5)
TOTAL MARKS / 100